The post-holder will facilitate in the Laboratories in the technical and practical aspects of delivering a comprehensive service. This includes booking in, processing, labelling, cataloguing, storage, and retrieval of samples.
The post holder will operate various analysers and instruments under supervision. The post-holder will undertake other general laboratory routine and non-routine tasks, which do not require the skill and training of a state registered Biomedical Scientist.
Location – Belfast
Hours of Work – 37.5 hours per week
Salary - £11.11 per hour
Contract – Ongoing
KEY DUTIES / RESPONSIBILITIES
For each of the following, the post holder will:
· Perform general sample reception and pre-analytical duties.
· Sort and distribute specimens.
· Assist in data processing within the laboratories.
· Sort and distribute laboratory reports.
· Receipt, delivery, and storage of goods where appropriate.
· Maintain a clean and efficient working area.
· Prepare appropriate solutions/reagents where necessary.
· Remove and dispose of laboratory waste according to departmental procedures.
· Be aware of and adhere to all current Health and Safety regulations.
· Liaise with the section head in relation to daily workload. After appropriate training and competency testing, prepare specimens for analysis and load such onto the analysers/instruments in the various sections.
· Following appropriate training, produce outstanding request sheets, find and present these samples for complete analysis in a timely fashion.
· Ensure equipment required for the technical and practical aspects of delivering the Laboratory service is maintained according to established Laboratory procedures and manufacturer’s recommendations. The post holder will be expected, after formal training, to carry out day to day maintenance of equipment or assist in the maintenance of equipment including calibration procedures, cleaning such instruments, and recording this appropriately. Report all faults to a senior member of staff immediately.
· Maintain appropriate stock levels of consumables required for the service delivery and produce supply orders for authorisation by the appropriate staff.
· Mentor and training of new or rotating staff.
· Communicate effectively with the laboratory team and users of the service.
· Attend, as appropriate, meetings relating to the Belfast Trust Laboratories service.
· Participate in a 24-hour service which will include extended working day, overnight, weekend work and Bank/Public holidays as part of the conditioned 37.5 hr week.
· Must adhere to all Policies and Procedures within the Belfast Trust
· Perform any other duties required by the line manager commensurate with grade.
Experience and Qualifications
2 GCSE's (Grades A-C) in Maths and English or equivalent PLUS 2 year’s relevant laboratory experience.
4 GCSE’s (Grades A-C) including Maths and English or equivalent PLUS 1 year’s relevant laboratory experience.
Science A level (Grades A-E) or equivalent qualification in a science related subject.
Ability to work to cover a 24-hour service to include an extended working, overnight, weekends & bank holiday as required.
· GCSE Science subjects
· Basic computer experience with basic typing skills.
· Ability to work on own initiative.
· Ability to work in a team.
· Flexible approach to work