Job Role: - Solicitor
The Solicitor Consultant will assist in the provision of legal services to a range of clients within our clients various departments.
The post holder will provide advice, representation and legal support to clients primarily in the area of employment law. He/she will provide these services in accordance with the standards established by the Chief Legal Adviser and the Organisation’s Service Level Agreements with its clients.
Location: - Belfast
Hours of Work: - Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm (37.5 hours per week)
Salary: -£48,756 - £59,370
What the role entails:
Provide advice and representation to our client in the defence of claims before the Industrial Tribunal or Fair Employment Tribunal and/or the Courts, including multiple/group claims. This includes advice regarding responses to claims, review of draft responses to claims prepared by clients, drafting of requests for Discovery and Additional Information and drafting of responses to such requests drafting and/or review of Statements of Legal and Factual Issues.
2. Represent our client at Case Management Discussions, preliminary hearings, pre hearing reviews and final hearings before the tribunal. Drafting and agreeing Statements of Legal and Factual Issues. Instructing counsel when required, normally in relation to final hearings only.
3. Consult with clients (often without counsel), provide directions in relation to evidential matters, including issues to be addressed in witness statements, reviewing and settling draft witness statements, give direction in relation to the preparation of bundles for hearing.
4. Investigate, assess and advise upon our clients’ legal liability in respect of individual employment claims. This involves gathering and considering relevant information and use of professional judgment by the job holder. This allows for the accurate assessment of legal liability and for recommendations to be made to clients regarding resolution of claims. To defend and contest cases in respect of liability and quantum on behalf of clients; and protect their interests (including financial and reputational). To obtain the best possible outcome for clients resulting in savings for the public purse.
- Demonstrate at least 5 years post qualification experience, within the last 7 years.
- Demonstrate experience in providing Legal advice and representation in the areas of civil litigation and employment
- Be a Solicitor eligible to practise in Northern Ireland, at the time of the application.
- The post holder may be required to travel throughout Northern Ireland and, on occasions, within the United Kingdom, the Republic of Ireland, and elsewhere. The successful candidate must hold a full current driving licence (valid in the UK) and have access to a car at the closing date or have *access to a form of transport which will permit the applicant to carry out the duties of the post in full.
- (*this relates only to any person who has declared that they have a disability, which debars them from driving).