Job Role:Technical Support Officer – Port Health
We are recruiting a Technical Support Officer for our public service client based in Belfast
The post holder will be required to carry out duties as defined in the management and control of imported food following procedures, working independently or under the supervision of the Environmental Health Officers assigned to Port Health. To liaise, as required, with professional officers from the Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs and other partner bodies as required.
Post-holders may be required to handle and be exposed to food product allergens, for example, fish, peanuts, tree nuts, etc.
Location – Belfast
Hours of Work – Average 37 hours per week over 4 week shift pattern 2 weeks on days and 2 weeks on nights (12 hour shifts)
Salary - £14.38ph
What the role entails:
· To protect public and animal health by applying checks in accordance with UK, NI and EU legislation.
· To be responsible for dealing with general Port Health emails and taking relevant actions which can involve a wide range of responses including, but not restricted to, calling containers for examination, making decisions on whether to release a container from hold or to refer to an EHO.
· To be responsible for handling telephone calls from agents, importers, shipping lines and other agencies and dealing with all enquiries where appropriate, referring calls to the EHOs or other agencies as necessary.
· Under the supervision of the EHOs, code manifests for all vessels arriving at PoB and apply documentary holds on containers (as required) for identity checks, physical examination and sampling checks, fish identity checks and to identify containers that require further clarification.
· To carry out manifest and ID checks on low-risk products and the preliminary ID checks on high-risk products under the supervision of an EHO and advise as required on any irregularities, and if required, follow up with the agent or importer to obtain further information.
· To perform documentary and seal checks on consignments at the ferry terminal ensuring the quick release of driver accompanied trailers that do not require routing to the inspection facility for a physical or enhanced ID check.
· To assist the EHO or other officers as required with physical checks and support them in the sampling of high risk foodstuffs.
· To perform seal checks on products subject to official controls or containers which are to be gas checked by the port prior to presentation. Once checks are complete, update databases and pass on relevant documentation to EHO or other professional officer, and report any discrepancies as required.
Qualification and driving licence
Applicants must, as at the closing date for receipt of application forms:
· possess a full, current driving licence which enables them to drive in Northern Ireland and a have a car available for official business use, or, access to a form of transport which will enable them to meet the requirements of the post in full; and
· hold a third level qualification in a relevant subject such as food science, food technology or equivalent relevant qualification.
Special skills and attributes
Applicants must be able to demonstrate evidence of each of the following skills and attributes which may be tested at interview:
Technical skills: knowledge of technical and legislative aspects of food safety and food standards.
Report writing skills: possess a good standard of literacy and comprehension and the ability to competently prepare letters, reports and legal notices
Information technology skills: the ability to make effective use of information technology software including word processing, spreadsheets and databases.
Communication skills: the ability to communicate effectively, applying the principles of good customer care.
Customer care skills: the ability to respond appropriately to the public, elected representatives and other customers in a helpful and positive way.
Work planning and organisational skills: the ability to plan their own work and manage initiatives or projects.
Team working skills: the ability to work as part of a team and provide willing support to other team members.
If you think you meet the criteria, please submit your CV to Michael.McAlinden@mparecruitment.co.uk or call our office on 02895211111 for more information and how to register for this role.