Staff Engineer - Backend
TORONTO / REMOTE /
MPA has been appointed by one of the fastest growing and leading Digital Health organisations in North America to source a Staff Engineer to join their growing team on a remote basis. You will be joining an organisation that has grown significantly in recent years to become a leader within the Digital Health sector by bringing much-needed innovation to the stagnant health care industry.
To thrive in this role, you are someone who advocates for high-quality code and scalable implementations leading not only by example but also actively mentoring and guiding other team members.
You enjoy coordinating technical projects across multiple teams and informing technical strategy for a department. You have an engaging way of explaining complex technical concepts to a non-technical audience too and are open to discussing different technical approaches and options with all members of cross-functional teams.
You lead architectural discussions and can apply your expert knowledge of best practices to inform good solutions.
In this role, you will:
· Guide the architecture and implementation of the feature set for a department
· Oversee the quality of the architecture and code across teams within a department
· Draw on your experience and knowledge to drive architectural decisions that can stand the test of time
· Implement complex new features and core services in the platform
· Collaborate with teams to translate business needs into engineering requirements, focusing on both functional and non-functional requirements
· Improve the overall quality of engineering that is done within the engineering organization
· Mentor and sponsor other engineers to strengthen the broader engineering organization
· Live our team values of ownership, pragmatism, cooperation, and empathy for our customers
· You probably have at least 8 to 10 years of backend experience, but we are open to hiring candidates who meet the rest of the criteria with fewer years under their belt
· You know how to write high-quality, testable code, and understand the tradeoffs between expediency and maintainability
· You have experience building highly concurrent, scalable and fault-tolerant services
· You enjoy delivering value to customers
· When things break, you’re eager and able to help fix things
· You have a track record of technical leadership and driving architectural and technical change at the organizational level
Strong candidates typically have the below experience:
• 10+ years of experience in software engineering
• recent hands-on experience delivering software (not pure architect or manager role)
• mix of different technologies/environments including:
• DevOps (e.g. mention of Docker, Kubernetes, Linux, monitoring, CI)
• Cloud (e.g. mention of AWS, GCP, Azure, OpenStack)
• emphasis on architecture and scalability (e.g. mention of microservices, performance)
• contributions to hiring, coaching, project management
• emphasis on value delivered for their company/customers
Their platform and applications run on Google Cloud. They build their backend services with Go and MongoDB, their web apps with React and Redux, and native Android and iOS apps
You will receive a competitive salary reflective of your experience along with employee stock options and unlimited PTO.
To find out more about this opportunity or to apply please send an up to date resume to firstname.lastname@example.org