Competitive Salary, Annual Leave entitlement, Support throughout your palcement.
KEY DUTIES / RESPONSIBILITIES
Dispensing and Distribution
1. Participate in the work of the dispensary, including clinical and accuracy checking of prescriptions and dispensed medicines, both within the dispensary and at ward level.
2. Review and assess inpatient and outpatient prescriptions for legality, accuracy, safety and appropriateness of drug therapy.
3. Ensure all work completed complies with Medicines Ethics and Practice, local policies and procedures, risk management and health and safety policies and protocols.
4. Communicate recommendations on drug therapy to doctors, nurses and other relevant healthcare professionals.
5. Liaise with relevant clinical pharmacists on patient care issues.
6. Dispense and supply medicines.
7. Advise patients on concordance with their medicines.
8. Receive, store and supply controlled drugs in accordance with the Misuse of Drugs Act and Trust policy.
9. Dispense clinical trial drugs according to protocols.
10. Provide a professional and courteous service to patients, staff and other healthcare staff attending the dispensary
11. Participate in the enquiry answering service of the Medicines Information service under the direction of a more senior pharmacist, acting in accordance with UKMI Standards and local standards of practice.
12. Undertake training involving relevant computer assisted learning packages and accredited Medicines Information workbooks under the supervision of a trained Medicines Information Pharmacist.
Aseptics and Quality Control
13. Work in the Aseptic unit (including radio-pharmacy if required), collaborating with other pharmacists and senior technicians in the prioritisation of workload and the provision of a safe, efficient and timely service
14. Undertake the in house training programme on the technical aspects of aseptic manipulation and the clinical aspects of aseptic products e.g. parenteral nutrition, intravenous additives and chemotherapy, if required
15. Supervise the aseptic process and perform final release checks on aseptically prepared products as an accredited product approver, if required
16. Develop knowledge and understanding of current legislation and guidance, standards of practice, COSHH, GMP, risk management and Health and Safety policies governing aseptic preparation.
17. Ensure all work complies with standards of practice, risk management and health and safety policies and protocols including the handling of cytotoxic drugs
18. Review and assess chemotherapy and parenteral nutrition patients’ prescription charts for legality, accuracy, safety and appropriateness of drug therapy.
19. Check the accuracy of assembled aseptic medicines for individual patients
Work in the quality control section of the pharmacy department.