MPA Recruitment has been appointed by one of the worlds leading professional digital coaching platforms to recruit a Legal Counsel to join their team in Toronto. Acting as their Legal Counsel you will focus on drafting, reviewing, and assisting in the management of a variety of sales and service agreements related to their virtual coaching business and other supplier contracts relevant to their operations. You will also need to support on a number of day-to-day operational matters, commercial governance issues and compliance activities.
In this role, there will be a strong focus on supporting the US and Canada based sales teams through proactive training on key legal and regulatory issues and supporting contractual negotiations with clients. Other key stakeholder relationships will include supporting the Contracts Administrator to ensure contracting processes are correctly followed, flag any areas of concern and deliver creative solutions to assist the local business teams.
The Legal Counsel will also liaise with and keep the General Counsel (based in UK) informed of relevant legal matters and become involved in other global legal projects, including data protection, general corporate and employment law matters.
What you’ll do
- Contract Preparation: Review and assist business developers, sales leaders, and management in the negotiation of client contracts, technology agreements, licenses and other contracts relevant to the business, and provide advice to internal stakeholders responsible for such agreements.
- Contract Templates: Make adjustments as necessary to current templates to reflect any changes in internal process, corporate policies or procedures, laws or regulations, or other matters that would require modification of standard agreement terms.
- Coordinate the process of completing contracts in a timely manner in accordance with the project's schedule, owning it from start to finish.
- Day to day support and management of local company secretarial matters in US and Canada and coordinating with LHH Legal team as and when necessary
- Data Protection: Assist in the implementation of organizational information security and privacy policies and procedures in coordination with the LHH global legal team and Privacy/ Information Security departments.
- Design & delivery of targeted legal training to local business teams to improve the basic understanding of key contracting/legal issues as well as the quality of commercial contract negotiation skills within Sales teams, especially for the high volume of new joiners
- Review and interpret laws and regulations to become fully knowledgeable about laws and regulations applicable, including capabilities and constraints.
- Assist and take responsibility in other duties and special projects as requested by the General Counsel.
- Advise the General Counsel and other executives on legal considerations inherent in a variety of legal matters, in order to ensure that business decisions are made with full knowledge of applicable legal considerations and potential risks for the business
- Qualified to practise in US and Canada with valid licences/practising certificates.
- Between 3-5 years of post qualification legal experience (with some prior in-house legal experience in fast paced, agile environments such as start ups/ digital ventures preferred), including proven experience in contract negotiation and with navigating complex global agreements
- Demonstrated knowledge of privacy and data protection legislation
- Demonstrated experience of owning and closing large, global contracts with multinational clients within aggressive timelines
- Service industry experience is a plus
To find out more about this opportunity please send an up to date resume firstname.lastname@example.org alternatively apply through the link provided.