Job Role: Cemetery Operative
We are recruiting a Cemetery Operative for our public service client based in Belfast
The successful candidate will be responsible to the Shift Supervisors for the operation of “all front of house” and customer service duties, including admissions, the visitors’ centre and souvenir shop functions.
Hours of Work - 37 hours per week. Mon - Wed 08:00- 16:00 / Thursday 08:00 - 15:30 /
Friday 08:00 - 14:30
Salary - £10.01 per hour
What the role entails:
- Ensure Cemetery grounds are maintained in accordance with the required standards by carrying out the instructions of the Team Leader cemeteries/Parks and Cemeteries Supervisor.
- Carry out grave digging operations to include re-opening existing graves, dig graves for the interments of ashes and stillborn, attend all funerals and assist at committals as necessary, open and close cemetery gates to the times specified by the management.
- Dig and backfill graves by hand, operating dumpers, or diggers as necessary, and act as banks person when required at opening of graves
- Responsible for carrying out all operations involved in burial including attending and lowering of coffins, checking, and reporting any damage before and after burial.
- Responsible for carrying out grave tests/shoring and assist in exhumations.
- Maintain grounds to agreed standards; including deployment of plant and machinery; sweeping paths manually or mechanically; spreading topsoil and spraying pesticides.
- Carry out daily checks on vehicles / machines / equipment ensuring they are maintained in good working condition, all safety guards / signs are properly ANTRIM Agency Grave Digger July 2021 maintained and displayed, records of machinery and site inspection dates are kept, and defects recorded and rectified.
- Carry out routine maintenance activities including litter and leaf collection, hedge cutting, weed control operations, removal of floral tributes, shrub pruning, and any other grounds of cemetery maintenance activities required in the delivery of the service.
- Operate vehicles, plant and maintain tools and equipment required to carry out any of the duties pertaining to the post, ensuring daily safety checks are completed. This includes Council vehicles, mowing equipment, strimmer’s, compact tractors, dumpers, mini diggers and any other equipment required to complete assigned tasks.
- Carry out routine maintenance of plant and equipment including daily checks on oil, water, fuel and tyres to ensure that plant and equipment are kept clean and operational condition.
- Implement adverse weather programmes i.e. salt/flooding when required.
- In the event of inclement weather preventing normal working undertake such alternative tasks as may be allocated by management.
- Ensuring Health and Safety requirements are adhered to as per Antrim and Newtownabbey Borough Council’s Strategy.
Minimum of 2 years’ experience in grounds maintenance including 1 years’ experience of excavator/plant operation
· Experience of dealing with queries from members of the public
· Experience in the preparation and digging of graves
· Experience/training in driving mechanical diggers/dumpers
· Experience of horticultural gardening
If you think you meet the criteria, please submit your CV to Michael.McAlinden@mparecruitment.co.uk or call our office on 02895211111 for more information and how to register for this role.