Legal & Compliance
£48,756 to £59,370 Per Annum
MPA Recruitment are working in partnership with their public sector client to recruit a Band 8b Solicitor Consultant for a full-time, temporary position in the Belfast area.
The Solicitor Consultant will assist in the provision of legal services to a range of clients within the Health and Social Care Sector. The post holder will provide timely specialist legal advice, assistance and representation for clients in contracting and procurement of goods and services, including IT projects.
He/she will provide these services in accordance with the standards established by the Chief Legal Adviser and the Organisation’s Service Level Agreements with its clients.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Draft appropriate contracts and related documents in line with the instructions of clients taking account of the client’s requirements and seeking to minimise risk. Review draft contracts and related documents and provide advice to clients whether oral or in writing including in relation to legal and other risks arising for the client, for patients and service users and to the public purse. Advise in relation to appropriate amendments to draft contracts and related documents and negotiate contractual terms where required.
- Draft and provide legal advice on appropriate lawful procedures and methodologies for the procurement of goods and services, including for software and other IT related goods and services. This includes the drafting and review of relevant suites of procurement and related documents and providing legal advice and support to clients throughout the procurement process, as required.
- Provide legal advice in relation to all legal issues relevant to the procurement and contracting for goods and services, including matters such as the sharing of personal data and processing of personal data by contractors, requests for information under the Freedom of Information legislation and relevant regulatory issues.
- Provide legal advice in relation to the proactive management of contracts in line with relevant Department of Health and other applicable public sector guidance in Northern Ireland. Provide legal advice in relation to all matters connected with the delivery of goods and services pursuant to contracts, including any contractual or other remedies open to clients.
- Investigate and assess clients’ legal liability in respect of contractual and/or procurement disputes and claims, to include reviewing relevant contractual and procurement documents, instructing appropriate experts and counsel and use of professional judgment by the job holder. Provide accurate and timely estimates to clients of potential legal liability and make recommendations to clients regarding practical and cost effective solutions which they may choose to follow, often in very high value (multi-million pound), complex claims involving issues of considerable sensitivity and public interest.
- Drafting pleadings and other court documentation as required, researching the law, and either appearing personally to present evidence and legal arguments to the Court, or instructing Counsel to do so, all to ensure that the interests of clients and public funds are adequately protected.
- Demonstrate at least 5 years post qualification experience, within the last 7 years.
- Demonstrate experience in providing Legal advice and/or representation in the areas of commercial (including contracts) and/or procurement law.
- Be a Solicitor eligible to practise in Northern Ireland at the time of application.
The post holder may be required to travel throughout Northern Ireland and, on occasions, within the United Kingdom, the Republic of Ireland, and elsewhere. The successful candidate must hold a full current driving licence (valid in the UK) and have access to a car at the closing date or have *access to a form of transport which will permit the applicant to carry out the duties of the post in full.
(*this relates only to any person who has declared that they have a disability, which debars them from driving).